Célébration de la Danse
Put on your dancing shoes and join us for this exciting, informative event celebrating traditional Cajun, Creole and Native American dance.
The event will feature:
- Live music by Huval Family Band, Wayne Singleton and Same Ole Two Step and Canneci N’de Band of Lipan Apache;
- Public dances featuring Cajun, Creole and Native American musicians playing live music for dancers;
- Dance demonstrations by traditional dancers and students;
- Art exhibits/sales by Bryant Benoit, Melissa Dronet, Shine and William Sonnier and the Juneau family (art features dance and music as prominent elements
in their work);
- Book readings, sales and signings by 2 time poet laureate Darrell Bourque, Sherry Broussard, Patrice Melnick and ULL Press;
- Cajun Dancehalls and Zydeco Clubs Photographic Exhibit
- Panel discussion on traditional dance and its role in our community and culture (featuring cultural anthropologists/ ethnomusicologists/ folklorists/
musicians/community cultural group representatives);
- 'Dance and Dine' menu offerings, cash bar and more.
This project is part of our Local Learning @ Vermilionville Initiative and is funded through grants from the National Endowment for the Arts and Decentralized Arts Funding through the state of Louisiana.
For more information, please contact Melanie Harrington, Education Coordinator, at 233-4077 ext. 206 or education@BayouVermilionDistrict.org.
Click here for the agenda.